Saturday, March 21, 2009

Dreaded test results

Sophie's GI Dr. called on Friday afternoon to tell us that the biopsies looked okay except for the one from her small intestines. That one indicated that she has symptoms of celiac disease, which the blood test Sophie had done a month ago came back negative for celiac disease. But her Dr. said that things like that happen often, and they rely more on what the biopsy says. So, we are now supposed to put her on a gluten free diet, which means no wheat, barley, or oats (and I'm sure many other things, I just haven't done all my research yet). We are told to try this for 3 months, then head back to TCh for a routine check up appt. with her GI Dr. So, if this diet changes Sophie for the better, then her Dr. is more likely to label her with having "celiac disease." If this diet shows no changes in Sophie, then I guess we will decide where to go from there, in 3 months, with her Dr.
In the meantime, I have WAY too much reading to do about this subject, and I have been doing a lot of contracting (for being due in 6 weeks!) I am tired and stressed out at this point, so any support or help you have about this subject would be greatly helpful to me, I am just trying to get Sophie on this diet ASAP, and it's proving to be very challenging! With those being the results, atleast we know where to go now....it's just a matter of taking all the steps amidst a new baby coming along, and all of that chaos added to it.
Prayers and thinking positive thoughts would be great right now!!! Also, these are just a couple of the sad photos of Miss Sophie at TCH before her endoscopy procedure last week.

In the waiting room at 7 30 AM!!! Too early!


Arriving at TCH at 7 30 with her paci and blankies....yes still half asleep, both of us!

1 comment:

Lizzie Collum said...

Aww Lindsay! I'm sorry. I know you are probably so overwhelmed but you can do this! This is bad timing with the baby right around the corner. Take it one day at a time and pray! God will see you through. I am going to see what I can find online about celiac disease. Love ya!